Sunday, January 31, 2010

Muffins That Taste Like Donuts

Every Christmas, for as long as I can remember, my grandparents have made huge batches of old-fashioned cake donuts. They wrap them up by the dozen and give them to everyone they know. They used to make random batches at other times of the year but now that they're getting older, and have about 500 grandchildren and great-grandchildren, this treat is strictly a Christmas tradition. I love those donuts. I crave those donuts.

I was flipping through a stack of church cookbooks my grandma gave me a few years ago and came across a recipe called Muffins That Taste Like Donuts and low and behold it had my grandma's name next to it! I called her up and she said that yes it was hers and the muffins tasted like the donuts she and my grandpa make every year. So I made them and sure enough, they tasted just like them. Now I have those donuts whenever I want!

The trick to keeping these muffins light and cakey is to not over-mix. What you get is a cinnamon and nutmeg spiced muffin that tastes just like an old-fashioned donut, perfect with your morning latte or a glass of milk before bed. Sprinkle on a little powdered sugar or cinnamon and sugar for an extra special treat.

Print this recipe

Muffins That Taste Like Donuts


1 3/4 c. flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
3/4 c. sugar
1/3 c. vegetable oil
1 egg, lightly beaten
3/4 c. milk
1 tsp vanilla

Instructions:

1. Mix the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg until combined.
2. In a separate bowl, mix together the oil, egg, milk and vanilla.
3. Add the wet mixture to the dry mixture, mixing only until incorporated.
4. Spoon into greased muffin tins and bake at 350˚F for 15-20 minutes.
5. Dip cooled muffins into melted butter then sugar and cinnamon, or sprinkle on powdered sugar.

Print this recipe

enjoy!
Amanda

16 comments:

  1. These sound like they're destined to be my sons' new favorite thing. Thanks so much for sharing a family secret.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My daughter loves donuts - can't wait to try this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh My Stinken Heck!! These are heavenly...I can't wait to try.

    XOXO-

    ReplyDelete
  4. My goodness!! Old fashioned donuts are my favourite! And in muffin form not deep fried...this is on my list to make this week!

    Still looking forward to your whoopie pie post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. lol, I didn't get a decent shot of them and before I could reshoot they disappeared on me! Guess I'll have to remake them...

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks very similar to a recipe I used to make years ago and had forgotten about. Thank you for posting this - I must make them!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm sure my grandma got it from someone else... everyone's grandma probably has this little gem tucked away somewhere in an old recipe book!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I need to make these for my hubs!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I showed these to the kids and they said I had to make them!! So doing that today and will let you know how they turn out.

    Thanks for continuing to share your yummy recipes :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so proud of myself for making these yesterday! Me, who can't do anything in the kitchen! Guess how many I have left now? 2! That's right, I've had 5 in 2 days. Maybe more, but whose counting, right? Thank you for this awesome recipe! You are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have made these for my daughter twice since you posted the recipe. She loves them!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Can these be made with coconut oil or olive oil because that is all I use?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Both of those oils are going to change the taste slightly, but if that's all you use I'd go with the coconut oil. Olive oil might leave them with a weird bitter taste.

    ReplyDelete
  14. These are so good.  Shared them with extended families and they too love them.  Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Added blueberries, ingredible!

    ReplyDelete
  16. These sound amazing and I can't wait to try them.  BTW, use Orange Glo orange oil to get that label off, and anything else with a sticky, gluey residue ; )  I bought one bottle years ago at WalMart and it's still on the go.

    ReplyDelete