Friday, December 18, 2009

Gingerbread Buttercream



I was at the bulk barn and stumbled upon these adorable little gingerbread man sprinkles. I had no idea what I was going to do with them but I had to have them. Fast forward 3 weeks and there I was baking for my 3 year old's pre-school Christmas party. I was digging through my baking cupboard for chocolate and found the sprinkles, and knew exactly what I needed to make... cupcakes!

I had already baked 4 different kinds of cookies and fudge and whoppie pies (blog post to come!) and so I was pretty tired but I thought the kids would love some little cupcakes and the sprinkles would put them over the top, so I grabbed a cake mix from the cupboard. *gasp* I KNOW, you're all disappointed with me and wagging your fingers, but I was tiiiiiired (said like a whiny teenager), besides, they're a total time-saver, they're just pre-measured dry ingredients, and they're yummy, thank you Betty Crocker!

The sprinkles are little bits of gingerbread cookie so I wondered if I could create some gingerbread buttercream to go on the cupcakes. Success! Total yumminess that turns a boxed cake mix into heaven!


Gingerbread Buttercream

1 stick (1/2 c) butter, softened
1/2 lb powdered sugar, sifted
2 tbsp heavy cream
2 tbsp cream cheese, softened
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg

Instructions

1. Cream butter and sugar together until thoroughly incorporated.
2. Add cream and vanilla and mix until fluffy.
3. Add spices and mix.
4. Pipe or spread onto anything, cupcakes, cookies, bars, your finger...

7 comments:

  1. I need these now!

    They look and sound divine!

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. DDDRRRROOOOLLLLIIIINNNNNGGGGGG .......

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love these Gingerbread men and I love Betty C! Don't be ashamed of the boxed stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so jealous - I want Gingerbread men sprinkles!! I ADORE Gingerbread and ginger snaps and I'm going to try this recipe next time on them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I used doctored up cake mixes all the time! No need for shame, whatsoever. Now, carrot cake, is a different subject. That HAS to be scratch, everything else--doctored boxes. =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've seen people add shredded carrots to a spice cake mix, always wondered if it was any good. I'm not a fan of carrot cake so I haven't tried it.

    ReplyDelete