Monday, September 7, 2009

Asian Crunch Salad

I am all about texture. I love mixing crunchy things with smooth things (except peanut butter, don't mess with my smooth PB if you value your life) and mixing flavours like sweet and tangy. That's why this salad speaks to me.

As a mom I rarely make time for me (hence why my baby weight is sticking around longer than I'd like) and lunch is a rare treat. I went looking for some lunchtime inspiration and found this basic salad concept and fell in love. One of the main ingredients: Ramen Noodles! How complicated or time consuming can a dish with Ramen Noodles be right?

This is a real budget friendly recipe because Ramen Noodles are ridiculously cheap and one bag of the colelsaw mix will give you 4-6 servings (depending on how hungry you are!) of this salad. Great for lunch, a side dish with dinner or for a pot-luck or picnic.

A sweet & tangy dressing over store-bought coleslaw mix (hello timesaver!) with a few add-ins and garnishes and you've got a delicious lunch that isn't table scraps from your kids!


Print this recipe

Asian Crunch Salad


1 (3 oz.) pkg. Ramen Noodles, crushed without flavour packet
10 oz. whole blanched almonds (cashews are great also)
1 (16 oz.) package shredded coleslaw mix
1 small red onion, thinly sliced
1/4 c. white sugar
1/4 c. vegetable oil
1/4 c. red wine vinegar (any vinegar will do really)
1 tbsp. soy sauce
1 pinch red pepper flakes (optional)
2 green onions, chopped

Instructions:

1. Preheat oven to 350˚F and toast the crushed noodles and almonds until golden brown.

2. In a large bowl, combine the coleslaw and red onion.

3. For the dressing, whisk together the sugar, oil, vinegar, red pepper flakes and soy sauce.
4. Pour the dressing over the salad and toss.
5. Garnish salad with the noodles, nuts and green onion and enjoy.

Note: If you're making this salad to eat over the week, don't add the garnishes until you're ready to eat or the noodles don't stay crunchy.

Print this recipe


enjoy,
Amanda

4 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, it looks GREAT! I love Asian food after living in Thailand for 3 years. They used ramen for everything!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was just sitting here thinking about what to cook for a friend this week and this looks amazing! I love texture as well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this recipe, I make this sometimes to bring when invited to someone's place for dinner. I love it!! You just reminded me about it and thing I will make some this afternoon. I'm like you, love the crunchy bits in the salad. I have never put soy sauce, sometimes I put some of the seasoning that came with the noodles in the dressing. Great pic too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh and Farm Boy sells the nicely shredded cabbage and carrot mix and it's fresh because they shred it there.

    ReplyDelete